Amoxicillin Overdose


Amoxicillin Overdose

A mild overdose of antibiotics such as amoxicillin has a low chance of causing severe damage but taking a large dose of it may cause permanent damage to the organs. There are several management options available to help in these kind of situation [1, 2, 3].


amoxicillin overdose


What is Amoxicillin?

Amoxicillin is a type of a penicillin antibiotic that is used to treat infections. It is usually prescribed to patients who suffer from bronchitis, tonsillitis, gonorrhea and pneumonia. Like other antibiotics, this drug is usually taken over a certain number of days in order to ensure the cure of the infection.

Failure to complete the entire course of Amoxicillin treatment may result in the development of antibiotic resistant microorganisms. Side effects associated with taking this medication include stomach upset, bleeding gums, diarrhea, muscle aches, nausea or vomiting and development of rashes [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].

How much is Amoxicillin Overdose?

The maximum dose of Amoxicillin a patient can take is 6g and it is divided in several doses. Modifications may be done to patients with renal impairment. Patients with a glomerular filtration rate of less than 10mL/min may only be given up to 500mg in a 24-hour period [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].

What are Amoxicillin Overdose symptoms?

An overdose in Amoxicillin can be classified as mild or severe depending on the amount that is taken. Symptoms presenting in a mild overdose are similar to the side effects of Amoxicillin. The patient may only present with diarrhea, nausea and vomiting but there will no lasting damage to the body.

A severe Amoxicillin overdose, on the other hand, may cause damage to the kidneys. The function of the kidneys may deteriorate or it may even lead to failure of the kidneys [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].


What is Amoxicillin Overdose management?

If someone is suspected of Amoxicillin, medical attention must be sought immediately. The management for amoxicillin overdose may involve pumping of the stomach, supportive care and other medications. The pumping of the stomach may be done if the overdose has occurred recently.

This procedure will attempt to remove the Amoxicillin from the body. The patient will receive supportive care to manage the symptoms that have arose due to the overdose.

If kidney damage had occurred, the patient may receive diuretics in order to avoid further damage. A hemodialysis may also be performed to remove the Amoxicillin from his body system [2, 4, 5].

How to prevent Amoxicillin Overdose?

The main way to prevent overdosing on Amoxicillin is to take this medication according to the prescription. The correct dose must be taken on the correct time during the course of the treatment.

This drug should not be taken without any prescription and left-over antibiotics should not be taken. Any side effects associated with Amoxicillin should be reported to the physician right away [2, 4, 5].


Amoxicillin overdose can be dangerous and it can happen to anyone. If you have more information about this, you can post it in the comment section below.
References

  1. Drugs.com. (2016). Amoxicillin. Retrieved from Drugs.com: https://www.drugs.com/amoxicillin.html
  2. Soloway, R. A. (2012, October). Antibiotics: Overdose vs Misuse. Retrieved from National Capital Poison Center: http://www.poison.org/articles/2012-oct/antibiotics-overdose-vs-misuse
  3. RxList. (2015, December 18). Amoxil. Retrieved from RxList: http://www.rxlist.com/amoxicillin-drug/overdosage-contraindications.htm
  4. Medscape. (2016). Amoxicillin. Retrieved from Medscape: http://reference.medscape.com/drug/amoxil-moxatag-amoxicillin-342473
  5. Monson, K., & Schoenstadt, A. (2013, October 29). Amoxicillin Overdose. Retrieved from eMedTV: http://antibiotics.emedtv.com/amoxicillin/amoxicillin-overdose.html

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.